An account takeover can happen when a fraudster or computer criminal poses as a genuine customer, gains control of an account and then makes unauthorised transactions.
Any account could be taken over by fraudsters, including bank, credit card, email and other service providers. Online banking accounts are usually taken over as a result of phishing, spyware or malware scams. This is a form of internet crime or computer crime.
The following are some ways to avoid becoming a victim of account takeover:
• Change your password at least once a month.
• Never use the same password for multiple sites.
• Never share your password with anyone (Friends & Family included).
• Do not store your password on your device.
• Keep your password unique to you.
• Don’t use celebrities or pet’s names.
• Use a mix of Upper & Lowercase as well as Symbols (%£$&)
• Never save your password to your browser.
Reporting Account Takeover: If you feel you have been victim of an account takeover please change your password and contact Client Services on +44 28 9587 0100. If you cannot log in to your MiFinity account click here to reset your password now.
Phishing is an identity-theft scam that uses “spoofed” or fake emails and websites to trick people into giving out personal information, such as card numbers, usernames and passwords. A phishing scam will use this page to capture any information that you provide, then sell or use the information for malicious purposes.
Following are some ways to avoid becoming a victim of a phishing scam:
• Always be suspicious of e-mails asking for sensitive information.
• Never respond to an e-mail request for personal information.
• Never follow the links in an e-mail you suspect might be phishing.
• Always make sure your operating system, antivirus software, and browser are up to date.
Reporting a phishing scam: If you feel you have been a victim of a Phishing scam, please send an email to email@example.com. Include details such as the URL of the website used, a copy of the phishing email received.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.